|Ullswater Steamers - July 30, 2011|
Photographs © John H. Luxton 2011
On Saturday July 30, 2011 the Merseyside Branch of the World Ship Society made a branch visit to the Ullswater Steamers in rather splendid weather.
Four of the five Ullswater Navigation and Transit Company were in service throughout the day, only the smallest vessel of the fleet LADY DOROTHY rested at her Glenridding moorings.
Raven is the largest vessel in the UNTCo fleet, weighing in at 58grt and with a length of 113ft she was built by T.B. Sneath of Rutherglen and launched in 1889. She was converted to diesel in 1935 and re-engined in 1964.
She is seen (left) on the 11:00 sailing from Glenridding to Pooley Bridge.
|WESTERN BELLE seen at Glenridding Pier - the most recent addition to the fleet. She was only officially launched back into service on June 30, 2011. WESTERN BELLE was built by Fellowes of Great Yarmouth for the Millbrook Steamboat and Trading Company in 1935 for ferry and pleasure cruise operations from Plymouth. In 1980 she passed to Dart Pleasure Craft before being sold as a charter cruise vessel to Chris' Cruises of Hampton Court, London. She was acquired by Ullswater Steamers and after being laid up at Maryport for a while was taken to the Mersey and rebuilt by Mersey Heritage Ship Repair Company. |
|LADY WAKEFIELD has a break at Glenridding ||RAVEN approaches Howtown Pier on the 12:45 Pooley Bridge to Glenridding sailing||Howtown Pier with Raven can be seen in the distance.|
|WESTERN BELLE departs from Pooley Bridge Pier on the 14:05 sailing to Glenridding||Pooley Bridge Pier and terminal building.|
LADY WAKEFIELD (right) was built as BERRY CASTLE by Philip of Dartmouth for the Riverboat Steamboat Company in 1949. She spent sometime away from the Dart in the South East as GOLDEN CORMORANT, before returning to the Dart in 1977 as TOTNES CASTLE before being acquired by Plymouth Boat Cruises in 1985. From whom she was acquired by UN&TCO and relaunched after an extensive rebuild as the LADY WAKEFIELD by HRH Princess Alexandra in 2007.
|Raven heading towards Pooley Bridge|| ||LADY WAKEFIELD (ex Berry Castle, ex TOTNES Castle) heading for Pooley Bridge.|
|A very well loaded WESTERN BELLE on an afternoon sailing from Glenridding||Glenridding Pier |
|LADY OF THE LAKE is the oldest vessel in the Ullswater Navigation and Transit Company fleet - above and bottom left departing Glenridding on the 16:40 sailing to Howtown.|
LADY OF THE LAKE (above) is the oldest vessel in the fleet and possibly the oldest working passenger ship in the world. She was built by T.B. Sneath & Co of Rutherglen in 1877. She sank twice in 1881 and 1931 and suffered a fire in 1965 which put her out of service until 1979.
LADY OF THE LAKE was converted from steam to diesel in 1935 with a further engine upgrade as part of her 1979 rebuild.
|LADY OF THE LAKE heading for Howtown|| ||RAVEN arriving at Glenridding on the 15:15 sailing from Pooley Bridge. |
| || || || |