NORTHERN BELLE arrives and departs from Cremyll on an afternoon sailing to and from Plymouth - Admiral's Hard. NORTHERN BELLE was built in 1929 for Mount Edgecumbe Estate to operate the ferry service as the ARMADILLO. She was chartered and later sold to the Millbrook Steamboat and Trading Company in the 1940s. Converted from steam to diesel propulsion in 1945 she was renamed to NORTHERN BELLE. On the demise of the Millbrook Steamboat Company she passed to the ownership of Tamar Cruising - the present operators of the Cremyll Ferry. The final photograph shows the Cremyll Terminal which is soon to undergo major improvements. One hopes these improvements will not effect the terminal's rustic charm.
Visit www.jhluxton.co.uk for Transport, Industrial Heritage & Regional Digital Photographs and Growing Online Archive
Irish Sea Shipping - What's New July 2008Irish Sea Shipping - What's New August 2009
Irish Sea Shipping - What's New May 2012Irish Sea Shipping - What's New August 2009Irish Sea Shipping - What's New August 2009Irish Sea Shipping - What's New August 2009