The Dartmouth Lower Ferry is operated by South Hams District Council and operated between Kingswear and Dartmouth. The ferry service is provided by two car floats which are propelled across the River Dart by small tugs. There are three tugs HAULEY IV, HAULEY V and HAULEY VI. HAULEY IV and HAULEY V were built by the local ship builders Philip & Son in 1965 / 66.
The tugs take their name from local worthy Sir John Hauley [1340-1408], Though foot passengers are conveyed on the car floats - no covered accommodation is provided which makes for a somewhat damp crossing in adverse weather. Most foot passengers use the Dart Valley Railway plc's passenger ferry which operates from an adjacent pontoon at Kingswear. However, the Dartmouth terminals of the passenger and Lower Ferries are some distance apart.
In these views taken on October 23, 2013 HAULEY VI can be seen working with a car float on the ferry service, photographed from PS KINGSWEAR CASTLE. During the winter / spring of 2013 the slipways were extensively rebuilt.