On May 29, 2010, exactly 70s years after the loss of the MONA'S QUEEN  off Dunkirk, the ship's anchor was raised from the sea-bed.
MONA'S QUEEN was one of the passengers vessels drafted in as part of Operation Dynamo to help evacuate the British Expeditionary Force from the beaches of Dunkirk in May 1940.
On May 29, 1940 MONA'S QUEEN detonated a magnetic mine whilst around one mile off shore and sank with the loss of 24 crew. MONA'S QUEEN was one of three vessels lost at Dunkirk that day. KING ORRY  and FENELLA  also being lost in that day.
On January 31, 2011 the anchor arrived at Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, the shipyard where the ship was originally constructed and launched in 1934. Cammell Laird will restore and mount the anchor which will be erected on the Isle of Man as a memorial to the crew. Once restoration is complete it will be transported to the Island by Manx National Carriers.
(Left to right) Captain Hamish Ross (Sea Breezes) David Findlay (IoMSPCo) Linton Roberts (Cammell Laird) and a representative from Manx Independent Carriers are seen at Cammell Laird on January 31, 2011.Mona's Queen Anchor Arrives a
The photograph on the right shows a close up detail of the anchor. Somewhat ironically considered it was sunk by a mine laid by the Third Reich it bears a reversed "swastika".
This swastika is the foundry trade mark of W.L. Byers & Co of Sunderland the anchor manufacturers.