Brunswick Dock opened in 1832 originally for the timber trade. By the late 1930s a granary was operational. The dock remained busy with the grain trade until closure in 1975. Brunswick was the last of the south docks to close during the 1970s. A reminder of days gone is the top section of one of the former river entrance gates preserved on the lock side (right).
However, with regeneration of the Liverpool South Docks Brunswick returned to life by the end of the 1980s as a Marina and home for small craft, passing into the ownership of British Waterways and in 2012 its successor the Canal and River Trust.
The views below, taken on December 01, 2012 show a number of yachts departing the lock accompanied by the Liverpool Yacht Club's flagship GULLMAREN, a former fishing vessel. Following the civilian vessels out of the lock was HMS CHARGER which is based at the Royal Navy Regional HQ HMS EAGLET in Brunswick Dock.